Honey whole wheat bread
I baked a modified honey whole wheat bread, the original recipe called for a 30 minute autolyze, however I did not autolyze the dough this time instead I used desired dough temp for the bulk ferment and the final proof temperatures. I estimated the dough temperature of around 90 degrees when finished kneading. The initial dough temp was 86-degrees f after adding the 104-degree water, the flour temp was 73-degrees f. The room temp was 72-degree f the estimated bowl friction to be 22 degrees. I added 600 grams 104-degree water. the dough was stirred with the paddle for 3 minutes, then kneaded another 10 minutes with the dough hook. the final dough temp was 92.2 degrees f.
Bulk ferment was completed after 37-minutes. Dough was divided into 3-590 g boules, bench rested for 15 minutes, shaped into rolls and panned. The final proof took 48 minutes in a 72-degree kitchen the pans covered with a flour sack cloth
The oven has preheated to 375 degrees the 3 pans of dough were baked in the upper 1/3 of the oven. One loaf oven spring cause it to come into contact with the top of the chamber, giving it a slight birthmark (will lower the rack one notch for future baking) all in all, all the loaves came out nice, though the dough did break out along the seam as you can plainly see in the pics when cooled will add photographs of the crumb.
Desired dough temp formula
The desired temp of the dough in my case I wanted at 90 degrees F
Multiply the DDT of 90 degrees by 3
subtract the flour temp
subtract the room temp
subtract the friction temp
caused by the dough rubbing on the bowl approximately 22-28 degrees i use 22 degrees
this equals the water temp degrees F
HONEY-WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
- 17 grams instant yeast 7%
- 90 grams honey 9%
- 58 grams unsalted butter softened 6%
- 17 grams kosher salt 7%
- 631 grams tap water 100° F 63.1%
- 500 grams whole wheat flour (whole wheat and 100%
- 500 grams bread flour* Bread flours combined)
- 30 g Parlac whole dry milk powder. 3%
- 5 ml 1/2 tsp distilled vinegar 2.5 g .25%
- total percentages 184.55%
*Spring Patent A flour 12.6% protein
- Dump dry ingredients in mixer bowl stir for 2 minutes to mix well.
- Mix the flour, and rest of the dry ingredients together in the bowl of a stand mixer that is fitted with a dough hook. Stir in wet ingredients, butter, honey, etc. and mix for 2 minutes. Add 2.5 ml ½ tsp distilled vinegar to water. Gradually stir in water until the dough holds together enough to clean the sides of the bowl. You may not need the full amount of water.
- Mix on stir for 2 minutes when dough comes together increase speed to 2 or 3 for 10 minutes.
- Grease large bowl with shortening or cooking spray; place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Generously grease 3 (8×4 inch) loaf pans with shortening or cooking spray. Gently push fist into dough to deflate; divide in 1/3’s. let dough bench rest for 15 minutes
- Shape dough into loaves; place in pans, brush loaves with melted butter. Cover; with flour sack cloth, greased plastic wrap, let dough rise in warm place until dough is 1 inch above rim of pan.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Uncover dough; bake 30 minutes until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans to cooling racks.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.