1 lb. BEANS, WHITE, DRY
5 cups WATER, COLD
3 qts. HAM BROTH (FROM MIX)
½ lb. PORK, HOCKS, (CURED & SMOKED)
2 cups CARROTS, FRESH, SHREDDED
1 ½ cups ONIONS, FRESH, CHOPPED
¼ tsp. PEPPER, BLACK, GROUND
½ cup FLOUR, WHEAT, GENERAL PURPOSE
½ cup WATER, COLD
- Pick over beans, removing discolored beans and foreign matter. Wash thoroughly in cold water.
- Cover with cold water; bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover; let stand 1 hour.
- Prepare stock according to recipe. Add to beans; bring to a boil; cover; simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Place smoked, cured pork hocks in water to cover. Simmer 1 hour; remove from heat; cool. Remove lean meat, chop into small pieces.
- Add carrots, onions, pepper and chopped ham hocks to bean mixture. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Blend flour and water to form a smooth paste. Stir into soup; cook 10 minutes.