- Stand mixer
- DOUGH HOOK
- digital scale
- Weight grams:
- 10 g YEAST ACTIVE, DRY
- 61 g WATER WARM
- 3 g SUGAR GRANULATED
- 13 g SUGAR GRANULATED
- ½ tsp SALT
- 81 g SHORTENING SOFTENED
- 237 g WATER WARM
- 95 g FLOUR WHEAT, BREAD
- 20 g MILK NONFAT, DRY
- 578 g BREAD FLOUR
- 60 g EGGS WHOLE (1 large egg)
- Sprinkle the yeast over water. DO NOT USE WATER TEMPERATURES ABOVE 110 F. Mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar; stir until dissolved. Let stand for 10 minutes, then stir again. Set aside for use in Step 3.
- Place sugar, salt, and shortening in mixer bowl. Add water; stir until shortening is melted.
- Sift together flour and milk; add sugar and shortening mixture. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Add yeast solution.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture; mix well. Add egg, beating well after each addition. Add the remaining flour; beat to form a smooth dough.
- FERMENT: Cover; set in a warm place (80 F.), until double in bulk.
- PUNCH: Let stand 1 hour.
- MAKE UP: Divide dough into 12 90-gram balls. Let dough rest for 10 minutes. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place circles in rows 2 by 3 about 1 inch apart on ½ size sheet pans, which have been sprinkled lightly with cornmeal, about 1/4 cup per pan.
- PROOF: At 80 F. for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- BAKE: Brown muffins on lightly greased 350-degree F griddle 5 minutes per side.
- Place browned muffins on sheet pans; bake 15 to 20 minutes at 350 F