10 g YEAST, ACTIVE, DRY
61 g WATER, WARM
3 g SUGAR, GRANULATED
13g SUGAR, GRANULATED
½ tsp SALT
81 g SHORTENING, SOFTENED
237 g WATER, WARM
95 g FLOUR, WHEAT, BREAD
20 g MILK, NONFAT, DRY
578 g FLOUR, WHEAT, BREAD
60 g EGGS, WHOLE (1 large egg)
- Sprinkle yeast over water. DO NOT USE TEMPERATURES ABOVE 110 F. Mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar; stir until dissolved. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir again. Set aside for use in Step 3.
- Place sugar, salt, and shortening in mixer bowl. Add water; stir until shortening is melted.
- Sift together flour and milk; add to sugar and shortening mixture. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Add yeast solution.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture; mix well. Add egg, beating well after each addition. Add to remaining flour; beat to form a smooth dough.
- FERMENT: Cover; set in a warm place (80 F.), until double in bulk.
- PUNCH: Let stand 1 hour.
- MAKE UP: Divide dough into 12 90-gram balls. Let rest 10 minutes. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place circles in rows 2 by 3 about 1 inch apart on ½ size sheet pans, which have been sprinkled lightly with cornmeal, about 1/4 cup per pan.
- PROOF: At 80 F. for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- BAKE: Brown muffins on lightly greased 350 degree F griddle 5 minutes per side.
- Place browned muffins on sheet pans; bake 15 to 20 minutes at 350 F