Yield: 2 cups
4 ounces bread, (4 cups cubed) cut into 1-inch cubes
- Set the oven rack to the center position. Preheat to 300ºF (149ºC).
- Add cubed bread into a food processor. Process on high speed for 30 seconds for coarse breadcrumbs, or 1 minute for fine breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a large sheet pan or two small pans. Spread evenly in a single layer in the pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes, stir, and then bake another 5 minutes. The breadcrumbs should be lightly browned and feel dry to the touch.
- Bake another 2 to 5 minutes as needed to make to completely dry.
- Allow breadcrumbs to cool on the sheet pan for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container to store.
- For even finer breadcrumbs, add to the food processor and pulse until the desired size is reached.
Recipe Yield: 2 cups of breadcrumbs.
Italian breadcrumbs: Combine 1 cup baked and cooled breadcrumbs with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning.