NAVY BEAN SOUP
- Stock pot
- 1 Lb. BEANS WHITE, DRY
- 2 qts. WATER COLD
- 3 qts BEEF BROTH
- ¾ cup CARROTS FRESH, SHREDDED
- 1 cup ONIONS FRESH, CHOPPED
- 1/8 tsp PEPPER BLACK, GROUND
- ½ cup FLOUR ALL PURPOSE
- ¾ cup WATER COLD
- Pick over beans, removing discolored beans and foreign matter. Wash thoroughly in cold water.
- Cover with cold water; bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover; let stand 1 hour.
- Prepare beef broth according to package directions or use canned broth. Chicken broth may be substituted.
- Add beans to stock; bring to a boil; cover; simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add carrots, onions, and pepper to bean mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend flour and water to form a smooth paste. Stir into soup; cook for 10 minutes.