Yield 16 cups Portion 1 Cup
1 Lb. BEANS, WHITE, DRY
2 qts. WATER, COLD
3 qts. HAM BROTH
¾ cup CARROTS, FRESH, SHREDDED
1 cup ONIONS, FRESH, CHOPPED
1/8 tsp PEPPER, BLACK, GROUND
½ cup FLOUR, ALL PURPOSE
¾ cup WATER, COLD
- Pick over beans, removing discolored beans and foreign matter. Wash thoroughly in cold water.
- Cover with cold water; bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover; let stand 1 hour.
- Prepare ham broth according to package directions or use canned broth. Chicken or beef broth may be substituted.
- Add beans to stock; bring to a boil; cover; simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add carrots, onions, and pepper to bean mixture. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Blend flour and water to form a smooth paste. Stir into soup; cook 10 minutes.