Yield 3 loaves
9 g YEAST, ACTIVE, DRY
60 g WATER, WARM
450 g WATER, COLD
12 g SUGAR, GRANULATED
13 g SALT
790 g FLOUR, WHEAT, BREAD
12 g SHORTENING, MELTED
- Sprinkle yeast over water. DO NOT USE TEMPERATURES ABOVE 110 F. Mix well. Let stand 5 minutes; stir. Set aside for use in Step 3.
- Place water, sugar, salt, and flour in mixer bowl.
- Using dough hook, mix at low speed 1 minute or until all flour mixture is incorporated into liquid; add yeast solution; mix at medium speed 5 minutes.
- Add shortening; continue mixing at medium speed 3 minutes. Dough temperature should be between 78 F. and 82 F.
- FERMENT: Cover and set in warm place, 80 F. for 2-1/4 hours or until double in bulk.
- PUNCH: Fold sides into center and turn completely over. Let rest 15 minutes.
- MAKE-UP: Scale into 3-14-ounce 3-390-gram pieces; shape each piece into a smooth ball; let rest 10 minutes.
- Form each piece into a rope, 1-1/4 inches in diameter and 16 inches long.
- Place 3 loaves on cornmeal dusted pan. Use 1/8 cup cornmeal per pan.
- PROOF: At 90 F. to 100 F. for 50 to 60 minutes or until double in bulk.
- Brush top of each loaf with Cornstarch Wash, or Egg White Wash.
- Cut 6 diagonal slashes, 1/4-inch deep, on top of each loaf.
- BAKE: 30 minutes at 425 F. or until done.
1 Tbsp CORNSTARCH
1 cup WATER
Combine cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil; cook until clear.
Brush on bread and rolls before and immediately after baking.
- Keep wash warm. Reheat if necessary.