1 ¾ tsp YEAST, ACTIVE, DRY
5 tbsp WATER, WARM
1 ¼ c WATER, COLD
2 EGG WHITES
2 ¼ tsp SUGAR, GRANULATED
1 ¾ tsp SALT
2 ¼ tsp SHORTENING, SOFTENED
4 ½ c FLOUR, WHEAT, BREAD
As needed COOKING SPRAY, NONSTICK
- Place water, egg white, sugar, salt, shortening, yeast, and flour in mixer bowl.
- Using dough hook, mix at low speed 1 minute or until all flour mixture is incorporated into liquid. Continue mixing at medium speed 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough temperature should be between 78 F. to 82 F.
- FERMENT: Set in warm place (80 F.) about 1-1/2 hours or until double in bulk.
- PUNCH: Divide dough into 2 pieces. Shape into smooth balls; let rest 10 to 20 minutes.
- Scale dough into 24 equal pieces Roll each piece into round balls.
- MAKE-UP: Lightly spray sheet pans with non-stick cooking spray. Place rolls on sheet pans in rows 3 by 4 so rolls do not touch each other during proofing or baking.
- PROOF: At 90 F. to 100 F. until double in bulk. Brush with hot Cornstarch Wash,
- BAKE: 25 to 30 minutes at 400 F. or in 350 F. convection oven 15 minutes or until golden brown, on high fan, open vent. Brush with hot Cornstarch Wash, immediately after removal from oven.
Yield ¼ cup
1 ½ tsp CORNSTARCH
¼ c WATER
1 Combine cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil; cook until clear.
2 Brush on bread and rolls before and immediately after baking.