PIE CRUST I 001 00
Yield 6 9” pie crust
6 c FLOUR, WHEAT, GENERAL PURPOSE
2 ¼ tsp SALT
2 c SHORTENING
1 c WATER, COLD
- Sift together flour and salt in mixer bowl.
- Add shortening to dry ingredients. Using pastry knife attachment, mix at low speed 30 seconds or until shortening is evenly distributed and mixture is granular in appearance.
- Add water; mix at low speed 1 minute until dough is just formed.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour for ease in handling.
- DIVIDE DOUGH: Divide dough into 3-7-1/2 oz pieces for bottom crust and 3-7 oz pieces for top crust; place on lightly floured board. ROLL DOUGH: Sprinkle each piece of dough lightly with flour; flatten gently. Using a floured rolling pin, roll lightly with quick strokes from center out to edge in all directions. Form a circle 1 inch larger than pie pan and about 1/8 inch thick. Bottom crust will be slightly thicker. Shift or turn dough occasionally to prevent sticking. If edges split, pinch cracks together. BOTTOM CRUST: Fold rolled dough in half; carefully place into ungreased pie pan with fold at center. Unfold and fit carefully into pie pan, being careful not to leave any air spaces between pan and dough. TOP CRUST: Roll top crust in same manner as bottom crust. Fold in half; with knife, make several small slits near center fold to allow steam to escape during baking. Brush outer rim of bottom crust with water. Lay top crust over filling with fold at center; unfold and press edges of two crusts together lightly. REMOVE EXCESS DOUGH: Trim overhanging edges of dough by using a knife or spatula. (Incorporate excess dough into next crust, if needed.) There should be little excess if skill is used in weighing and rolling dough. SEAL PIE: Press edges of crust firmly together or crimp with the thumb and forefinger to make a fluted edge. WASHED TOP: For a washed top, brush pies with appropriate wash as follows: Egg and Milk Wash – This wash is used for fruit pies (apple, blueberry, cherry, peach, pineapple) that are baked 30 to 35 minutes. It SHOULD NOT be used for pies requiring longer baking time as the crust will brown excessively. Egg and Water Wash – This wash is used for berry and mincemeat pies that are baked 40 to 45 minutes. It SHOULD NOT be used for pies that are baked 30 to 35 minutes as the crusts will be too pale. Allow glaze to dry on crust before baking to eliminate dark spots. BAKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR COOKED PIES: Bake as specified on individual recipe card. BAKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNCOOKED PIES: Bake crusts at 425 F. for about 15-18 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool before filling. Proceed with the recipe directions.