Yield 3 pies
3 PIE CRUST
1 ⅛ cup MILK, NONFAT, DRY
7 cup WATER, WARM
1 cup SUGAR, GRANULATED
¾ tsp SALT
1 cup CORNSTARCH
1 ¼ cup SUGAR, GRANULATED
¾ cup COCOA
⅔ cup WATER, COLD
4 EGGS, WHOLE, LARGE
6 tbsp BUTTER
2 tsp EXTRACT, VANILLA
- PREPARE AND DIVIDE DOUGH: Prepare ½ Pie Crust recipe chill dough at 40 degrees for 1-1 ½ hours. Divide dough into 3-7-1/2 oz pieces for bottom crust, place on lightly floured board. ROLL DOUGH: Sprinkle each piece of dough lightly with flour; flatten gently. Using a floured rolling pin, roll lightly with quick strokes from center out to edge in all directions. Form a circle 1 inch larger than pie pan and about 1/8 inch thick. Shift or turn dough occasionally to prevent sticking. If edges split, pinch cracks together. BOTTOM CRUST: Fold rolled dough in half; carefully place into ungreased pie pan with fold at center. Unfold and fit carefully into pie pan, being careful not to leave any air spaces between pan and dough. REMOVE EXCESS DOUGH: Trim overhanging edges of dough by using a knife or spatula. (Incorporate excess dough into next crust, if needed.) There should be little excess if skill is used in weighing and rolling dough. BAKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNCOOKED PIES: Bake crusts at 425 F. for about 15-18 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool before filling. Proceed with the recipe directions.
- Reconstitute milk. Add sugar and salt; heat to just below boiling. DO NOT BOIL.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, cocoa, and water; stir until smooth. Add gradually to hot mixture. Cook at medium heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Stir 1 cup of hot mixture into eggs. Slowly pour egg mixture into remaining hot mixture; heat to boiling stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla; stir until well blended. Cool slightly.
- Pour 3 cups of filling into each 9-inch baked pie shell. Meringue, Recipe may be spread over chilled filling.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut 8 wedges per pie. Chilled pies may be topped with Whipped Cream.