CHICKEN POT PIE
- Stand mixer
- Sauce pot
- 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish
- COOKING SPRAY NONSTICK
- 4 oz ONIONS FRESH, CHOPPED
- ¼ tsp PEPPER BLACK, GROUND
- ½ tsp THYME GROUND
- 2 BAY LEAF WHOLE, DRIED
- 3 c CHICKEN BROTH
- ¾ lb POTATOES FRESH, PEELED, CUBED
- ¾ lb CARROTS FRESH, CHOPPED
- ¼ lb CELERY FRESH, CHOPPED
- 1 c WATER COLD
- 1 c FLOUR ALL PURPOSE
- 1 ½ lb CHICKEN, THIGHS COOKED, DICED
- ½ lb PEAS GREEN, FROZEN
- ¾ c FLOUR ALL PURPOSE
- 1 tbsp SUGAR GRANULATED.
- 1 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 1 tsp SALT
- 2 c WATER WARM
- 3 tbsp MILK NONFAT, DRY
- ¼ c EGG WHITES
- 2 tbsp MARGARINE MELTED.
- Lightly spray the sauce pot with non-stick spray. Add onions, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves. Stir-cook 5 minutes until onions are tender.
- Add broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Blend the flour and cold water together; stir to make a slurry. Add slurry to vegetable mixture stirring constantly. Bring stock to boil. Cover; reduce heat; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Fold in peas, and cooked, diced chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into ungreased pan.
- For batter topping, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixer bowl.
- Reconstitute milk in warm water. Combine milk, egg whites and margarine or butter. Add to dry ingredients; mix at low speed until dry ingredients are moistened, about 30 seconds. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly over top of chicken mixture in pan.
- Using a convection oven, bake 20 to 25 minutes at 400 F. or until lightly browned.
NOTES The batter will be very thin. Do not add more flour Cooked diced Chicken: 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs. simmer thighs for 25 minutes or until done. let cool, dice, and save for step 4