COOKING SPRAY, NONSTICK
4 oz ONIONS, FRESH, CHOPPED
¼ tsp PEPPER, BLACK, GROUND
½ tsp THYME, GROUND
2 BAY LEAF, WHOLE, DRIED
3 c CHICKEN BROTH
¾ lb POTATOES, FRESH, PEELED, CUBED
¾ [b CARROTS, FRESH, CHOPPED
¼ lb CELERY, FRESH, CHOPPED
1 c WATER, COLD
1 c FLOUR, WHEAT, GENERAL PURPOSE
1 ½ lb CHICKEN, COOKED, DICED
½ lb PEAS, GREEN, FROZEN
¾ c FLOUR, WHEAT, GENERAL PURPOSE
1 tbsp SUGAR, GRANULATED.
1 tsp BAKING POWDER
1 tsp SALT
2 c WATER, WARM
3 tbsp MILK, NONFAT, DRY
¼ c EGG WHITES
2 tbsp MARGARINE, MELTED.
- Lightly spray stockpot with non-stick spray. Add onions, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves. Stir-cook 5 minutes until onions are tender.
- Add broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Blend flour and cold water together; stir to make a slurry. Add slurry vegetable mixture stirring constantly. Bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Fold in peas, and cooked, diced chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat; simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour 3 cups of mixture into each ungreased pan.
- For batter topping, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixer bowl.
- Reconstitute milk in warm water. Combine milk, egg whites and margarine or butter. Add to dry ingredients; mix at low speed until dry ingredients are moistened, about 30 seconds. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter evenly over top of chicken mixture in pan.
- Using a convection oven, bake 20 to 25 minutes at 400 F. or until lightly browned on low fan, open vent.
In Step 9, batter will be very thin. Do not add additional flour.