Black Cherry Ice Cream Recipe
YIELD: 2 QUARTS
- Ice Cream Maker
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cherries pitted
- 1 cup granulated sugar divided
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chop your cherries in a food processor or blender by pulsing until finely chopped (not pureed).
- Add the chopped cherries to a medium-sized bowl with 1/3 cup of sugar, and two Tablespoons of lemon juice. Stir and allow to sit at room temperature on your counter. This will draw the juices out of the cherries.
- When almost ready to churn, prepare the ice cream mixture by adding the remaining 2/3 cup of sugar and 3/4 cup of whole milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the 2 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the milk, sugar, and blend well.
- Carefully add the cherries and all their juices to the ice cream mixture. Stir until everything is well-blended.
- Add to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Depending on the size of your ice cream maker, you may need to churn this in two batches.
- Transfer soft-serve ice cream to an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze for at least two hours or overnight.