- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Mix the cornmeal with the baking powder, salt, black and white pepper, and onion.
- Mix the egg with the milk and whisk into the cornmeal mixture.
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees in a deep fryer.
- Drop spoonsful of the batter carefully into the hot oil and deep fry the hush puppies until golden brown. Remove and put on a paper towel covered plate to absorb oil and to cool. Serve with a favorite dip.