Flaky crust on the outside, soft on the inside, this Italian bread is everything you want homemade bread to be and more.
- Stand mixer
- digital scale
- mixing bowls
- proofing Bucket
- 14 g YEAST ACTIVE, DRY
- 12 g SYRUP KARO
- 474 g WATER WARM 110-115°F
- 600 g FLOUR WHEAT, BREAD
- 50 g OIL VEGETABLE
- 12 g SALT
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.
- Add 2 cups (240 g) flour, olive oil and salt. Stir with dough hook on low speed until a shaggy dough forms.
- increase to speed 2 knead dough in stand mixer 5 minutes, adding just enough of the remaining flour until a soft, smooth, and elastic dough forms.
- Shape dough into a ball; place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise 1 hour until doubled.
- Heat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or lightly grease the surface with oil or cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, punch down dough, divide into 5 equal pieces then carefully shape into 5 batards/torpedoes Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and let rise another 20 minutes until puffy.
- Use a serrated knife to make a few ¼-inch deep slits in the surface of the loaf. Bake loaf for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing.