Yield 18 Portion 1 Doughnut
- Stand mixer
- digital scale
- Mixing bowl
- Doughnut cutter
- 18 g YEAST ACTIVE, DRY
- 133 g WATER WARM
- 82 g SUGAR GRANULATED
- 7 g SALT
- 45 g SHORTENING
- 1 EGG WHOLE, FRESH
- 102 g WATER COLD
- 7 g EXTRACT VANILLA
- 317 g BREAD FLOUR
- 184 g FLOUR ALL PURPOSE
- 8 g MILK NONFAT, DRY
- ½ tsp NUTMEG GROUND
- OIL VEGETABLE, FOR FRYING
- Sprinkle yeast over water. DO NOT USE TEMPERATURES ABOVE 110 F. Mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes; stir. Set aside for use in Step 3.
- Cream sugar, salt, and shortening in mixer bowl at medium speed.
- Add eggs, yeast solution, water, and vanilla; mix at low speed until blended.
- Sift together flours, milk, and nutmeg; add to mixture. Using dough hook, mix at low speed for 1 minute or until all flour mixture is incorporated into liquid. Continue mixing at medium speed for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. The dough temperature should be between 78 F. to 82 F.
- FERMENT: Cover. Set in warm place (80 F.) for 1-1/2 hours or until double in bulk.
- PUNCH: shape into a smooth ball; let rest for 10 to 20 minutes.
- MAKE-UP: Roll each ball to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 3-inch doughnut cutter.
- PROOF: Place on floured sheet pan; let rise 30 minutes or until light.
- FRY: 375 F. Until golden brown on underside. Turn, fry on other side. Drain on absorbent paper.
- When cool, roll in granulated sugar or sifted powdered sugar, or in Cinnamon Sugar, or dip in Vanilla Glaze, Almond Glaze, or Rum Glaze, Place glazed doughnuts on racks to drain.