WHOLE WHEAT BREAD ROLLS
- Stand mixer
- digital scale
- mixing bowls
- proofing Bucket
- 340 g warm water
- 14 g ADY
- 42 g honey
- 27 g vegetable oil
- 7 g salt
- 240 g all-purpose flour
- 240-300 g white whole wheat flour
- Pre-heat oven to 200°F degrees, upon reaching temperature turn oven off.
- Combine the water, sugar or honey, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir well and let sit for 6 to 8 minutes, or until you see the yeast begin to foam.
- Add 240 g all-purpose flour and mix with the paddle attachment and mix in salt. Add in 2 tbsp oil. Add white whole wheat flour 60 g at a time until a shaggy ball forms, continue to add the rest of the whole wheat flour gradually until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Begin kneading the dough for 4-5 minutes in a stand mixer.
- The dough should be soft and smooth but still slightly tacky to the touch. After a few minutes of kneading, stop the mixer and grab a small piece of dough to test if it needs more flour or not. It might leave a little bit of sticky residue on your fingers, but if you can roll it into a small ball without it sticking all over to your hands, it is good to go. If not, gradually add a bit more whole wheat flour as needed.
- Lightly flour a clean surface on the countertop. Form dough into a large ball.
- Spray a clear 8-quart container/ bowl with food release/ cooking spray. Place dough in the container, cover with a damp flour sack cloth and transfer to oven. Allow the dough to rise in warm oven for about 45-60 mins or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- Remove dough from oven and lightly punch down. Turn out onto a lightly greased countertop.
- Divide the dough out into 77-80 g pieces and form the dough into round balls.
- Place the dough on a 9X13 inch or ¼ size rimmed baking sheet sprayed with food release spray, place dough balls about ½” inch apart 3 across by 4 down.
- Cover the rolls, with a lightly greased plastic wrap. Caution: make sure the plastic wrap is not pinned under the baking sheet let the plastic wrap hang freely over the sides to fully cover the rolls but not hinder their rise.
- Allow the rolls to rise until doubled in size about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake 14 to 17 minutes until lightly brown and cooked through. Internal temp 190°F
- Bush with butter and cool on cooling rack for soft chewy crust.