Spanish Bean Soup
- ½ pound garbanzo beans chickpeas, dried
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ham bone
- 1 beef bone
- ¼ pound salt pork cut in thin strips
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut in quarters
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 chorizo Spanish sausage, sliced in thin rounds
- Wash garbanzos. Soak overnight with 1 tablespoon salt in enough water to cover beans. Drain the salted water from the beans.
- Place beans in 4-quart soup kettle; add 2 quarts of water and the ham and beef bones. Cook for 45 minutes over low heat, skimming foam from the top.
- Fry salt pork slowly in a skillet. Add chopped onion and sauté lightly.
- Add to beans along with potatoes, paprika and saffron. Add salt to taste. When potatoes are tender, remove from heat and add chorizo.
- Serve hot in deep soup bowls. For a thicker soup, stew it longer.