YANKEE POT ROAST
- 4 lbs BEEF CHUCK, POT ROAST, RAW
- 1 ½ qt WATER BOILING.
- 1 tsp SALT
- ¼ tsp PEPPER BLACK, GROUND
- 2 med ONIONS FRESH, QUARTERED
- 1 tsp GARLIC POWDER
- ¼ lb CARROTS FRESH, CHOPPED
- 1 Tbsp PARSLEY FRESH, BUNCH, CHOPPED
- 15 oz can TOMATOES CANNED, DICED, INCL LIQUIDS
- ¼ tsp ALLSPICE GROUND
- 2 BAY LEAF WHOLE,
- 1/4 tsp DRIED THYME GROUND
- ¼ c VINEGAR DISTILLED
- 1 c FLOUR ALL PURPOSE
- ¾ c WATER COLD
- 3 c RESERVED STOCK
- Place roast in stock pot; brown on all sides; add water.
- Add salt, pepper, onions, garlic, diced fresh carrots, chopped fresh parsley, canned tomatoes, ground allspice, bay leaves, ground thyme, and vinegar to roasts.
- Cover. Simmer 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until tender. Remove scum as it rises to the surface during cooking. Remove cooked beef. Skim off excess fat from stock and reserve stock for use in Step 5.
- Let roast stand 20 minutes; slice 1/8-inch thick.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; add to stock, stirring constantly. Cook 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve sauce with sliced meat.