COCONUT CREAM PIE
YIELD 2 PIES
- 2 PIE CRUST
- ½ c MILK NONFAT, DRY
- 3-3/4 c WATER WARM
- ½ c SUGAR GRANULATED
- ½ tsp SALT
- ½ c CORNSTARCH
- 2/3 c SUGAR GRANULATED
- ½ c COCOA
- 1 c WATER COLD
- 3 EGGS WHOLE
- ¼ c MARGARINE
- 3 ½ c COCONUT PREPARED, SWEETENED FLAKES
- 1 c COCONUT PREPARED, SWEETENED FLAKES
- 1 tsp EXTRACT VANILLA
- PREPARE AND DIVIDE DOUGH: Prepare Pie Crust. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Bake crusts at 425 F. for about 15-18 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool before filling. Proceed with the recipe directions.
- Reconstitute milk. Add sugar and salt; heat to just below boiling. DO NOT BOIL.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, and water; stir until smooth. Add gradually to hot mixture. Cook at medium heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Stir about 1 quart of hot mixture into eggs. Slowly pour egg mixture into remaining hot mixture; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Add butter or margarine and vanilla; stir until well blended. Cool slightly.
- Add prepared sweetened coconut flakes to filling; mix well. Pour 3-1/4 cups filling into each baked pie shell.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup coconut over each filled pie.
- Pour 3-1/2 cups filling into each baked pie shell.
- Cut 8 wedges per pie. Chilled pies may be topped with Whipped Cream.
Filling will curdle if boiled or subjected to prolonged intense heat.