LEMON MERINGUE PIE
YIELD 2 PIES
- SMALL DOUBLE BOILER
- 2 PIE CRUST
- 4 c SUGAR GRANULATED
- 1 ¾ tsp SALT
- 3 tbsp LEMON RIND GRATED
- 4 ½ c WATER
- 1 ¼ c CORNSTARCH
- 1 ⅛ c WATER COLD
- 4 EGGS WHOLE, BEATEN
- 6 tbsp BUTTER
- 1 c JUICE LEMON
- 1 drop FOOD COLOR YELLOW
- PREPARE AND DIVIDE DOUGH: Prepare Pie Crust. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Bake crusts at 425 F. for about 15-18 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool before filling. Proceed with the recipe directions.
- Combine sugar, salt, lemon rind, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water; stir until smooth. Add gradually to boiling mixture; cook at medium heat, stirring constantly until thick and clear.
- Stir about 1 cup hot mixture into eggs. Slowly pour egg mixture into remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook at medium heat; stirring frequently, until mixture returns to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Add butter or margarine, lemon juice, and food coloring; stir until well blended. Cool slightly.
- Pour 2-3/4 to 3 cups filling into each baked 9-inch pie shell.
- Prepare 2 recipe Meringue, Recipe. Spread completely over warm filling, about 122 F., in each pie. Meringue should touch inner edge of crust all around and completely cover top of pie. Leave meringue somewhat rough on top.
- Bake at 350 F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.