Pastry for 1 Shortcrust
- Stand mixer
- 1 lb self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz Vegetable Shortening
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 4-6 tablespoons of cold water
- Weigh out the 1lb self-rising flour and remove 3 tablespoons. Then add 2 tablespoons of cornflour and 1 tablespoon of confectioner’s powdered sugar.
- Place into the food mixer.
- Cut the butter and shortening into small cubes and put in the mixer use the beater to rub the fat into the flour. Use slow or mix speed until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the 1 egg and slowly add cold water with the machine is running until dough starts to come together. Stop the mixer, dump dough out onto a floured surface knead once or twice to form a ball. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and flatten it. Place in the refrigerator for an hour to hour and a half. DO NOT handle dough more than necessary.
- Roll from center out, turning often with a little flour make your desired recipe. Bake at 425 degrees F until golden brown.
You can do it by hand of course