YEILD 24 ROLLS
- Stand mixer
- digital scale
- mixing bowls
- 8 packs (56 g) YEAST, ACTIVE, DRY
- ½ c (120 g) WATER, WARM
- 1 ½ c (350 g) WATER, COLD
- 3 EGGS WHOLE, LARGE
- ⅔ c (127 g) SUGAR, GRANULATED
- 6 Tbsp (30 g) MILK, NONFAT, DRY
- 1 tsp (9 g) SALT
- 5 ⅔ (680 g) FLOUR, PATENT “A” 12.7 % PROTEIN
- 1 ¾ c (220 g) FLOUR, ALL PURPOSE
- ¾ c (135 g) SHORTENING, SOFTENED
- 1 stick (113 g) BUTTER, UNSALTED, SOFTENED
- 1 Tbsp EXTRACT LEMON,
- CINNAMON SUGAR FILLING
- VANILLA WATER GLAZE
- Sprinkle yeast over water. DO NOT USE TEMPERATURES ABOVE 110 F. Mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes; stir. Set aside for use in Step 3.
- Place flour, sugar, milk, in mixer bowl. Stir for 1 minute with dough hook.
- Combine water, eggs, lemon extract, and yeast solution, pour into mixer’s bowl. Using dough hook, mix at low speed for 5 minutes.
- If dough is shaggy add water 1 Tbsp at a time until dough comes together and leaves the side of the bowl. Wait 1 minute between adding extra water.
- Add shortening; mix at low speed for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and mix for 5 minutes. until dough is smooth and elastic.
- The Dough temperature should be between 78 F. to 82 F.
- FERMENT: Cover. Set in warm place (70-80° F.) until dough has doubled in bulk.
- PUNCH: Let dough rest for 20 minutes. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- MAKE-UP: Roll each piece of dough into a rectangular sheet, 1/4 inch thick. Dimensions will vary.
- Melt butter or margarine. Brush ¼ cup on each sheet of dough.
- Prepare Cinnamon Sugar Filling recipe, Sprinkle ½ cup cinnamon sugar mixture over each sheet of dough.
- Roll each piece tightly, making a long slender roll. Seal edges by pressing firmly along seam. Elongate roll to 12 inches by rolling back and forth on worktable. Brush 1 tsp of butter on each roll.
- Slice each roll into 12 pieces about 1 inch wide, using a sharp knife or bench knife.
- Place cut side down 1 inch apart on lightly greased ½ size sheet pans in rows 3 by 4.
- Proof at room temperature until double in bulk.
- Bake at 375 F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown or in 325 F. convection oven 17 minutes.
- Glaze, if desired, with Vanilla Glaze, Brush about 1 cup on rolls in each pan.