YIELD 24 Portion 1 Each
- Stand mixer
- 8 ½ tsp YEAST ACTIVE, DRY
- ¾ c WATER WARM
- ½ c + 1 Tbsp SUGAR GRANULATED
- 1 1/8 tsp SALT
- ⅓ c SHORTENING
- 1 EGGS WHOLE, FRESH
- ⅔ c WATER COLD
- 1 tsp EXTRACT VANILLA
- 3⅔ c FLOUR BREAD
- 2 c FLOUR ALL PURPOSE
- 3 Tbsp MILK NONFAT, DRY
- 1 tsp NUTMEG GROUND
- OIL VEGETABLE FOR FRYING
- Sprinkle yeast over water. DO NOT USE TEMPERATURES ABOVE 110 F. Mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes; stir. Set aside for use in Step 3.
- Cream sugar, salt, and shortening in mixer bowl at medium speed.
- Add eggs, yeast solution, water, and vanilla; mix at low speed until blended.
- Sift together flours, milk, and nutmeg; add to mixture. Using dough hook, mix at low speed 1 minute or until all flour mixture is incorporated into liquid. Continue mixing at medium speed 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough temperature should be between 78 F. to 82 F.
- FERMENT: Cover and set in warm place (80 F.), 1-1/2 hours or until double in bulk.
- PUNCH: Divide into 2 pieces; shape each piece into a smooth ball; let rest 10 to 20 minutes.
- MAKE-UP: Roll into rectangular strips, 5 inches wide, inches long, and 1/2-inch thick; cut into strips 1 inch wide.
- PROOF: Place on floured sheet pan; let rise 30 minutes or until light.
- FRY: Until golden brown on underside. Turn and fry on other side. Drain on absorbent paper.
- When cool, roll in granulated sugar, or sifted powdered sugar or in Cinnamon Sugar Filling, or dip in Vanilla Glaze, Rum Glaze, Almond Glaze. Place glazed doughnuts on racks to drain.