Yield 10 Portion 1 Cup
1 cup ONIONS, FRESH, CHOPPED
1 cup CELERY, FRESH, CHOPPED
1 Tbsp SHORTENING, VEGETABLE, MELTED
5 cups BEEF BROTH
2 BAY LEAF, WHOLE, DRIED
Pinch PEPPER, BLACK, GROUND
1 ½ Tbsp SUGAR, GRANULATED
2- 28 oz TOMATOES, CANNED, DICED, INCL LIQUIDS
- 1 Sauté onions and celery in shortening or salad oil 5 minutes in stock pot. Stir frequently.
- Prepare beef base according to package directions or use canned beef broth. Add to sautéed onions and celery.
- Add bay leaves, pepper, and sugar. Stir.
- Cover; bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes; mix well.
- Cover; bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.