- measuring cups and spoons
- Pastry knife
- LARGE BOWL
- 2 cups FLOUR WHEAT, ALL PURPOSE
- ½ tsp BAKING SODA
- ½ tsp SALT
- 3 Tbsp SHORTENING
- ¼ cup BUTTERMILK DRY
- ½ to ¾ cup WATER COLD
- Reconstitute buttermilk set aside step 3
- Combine flour, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times.
- Pat dough to ½-inch thickness.
- Pinch off dough in 1 ½ -inch pieces and drop into simmering broth.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook without lifting lid, until desired consistency is reached, about 8 to 10 minutes.